Best Air Purifier For Basement
You need to make sure that the environment in your basement is just right. This way, you'll be able to get the best use out of it and protect anything that you store down there from damp and mold. To achieve this, you'll need a basement air purifier.
But how do you find the best air purifier for your basement? What do you need to consider as you go about making your selection? To help you answer these questions and a few more, we've put together a handy guide.
Read on to find out more about the best air purifier for basement apartments and how to create a multi-functional space within the basement of your property.
What Makes An Air Purifier Suitable For A Basement?
It must have enough capacity to handle the space
Even a well-ventilated basement cannot match the ventilation of above-ground spaces. Because of this, your air purifier will have to work that little bit harder to cover all the available area.
Don't worry, you won't have to calculate the cubic volume of the air in your basement. Since wall heights are generally uniform, give or take a few inches, air purifiers are rated by area and measured in square feet.
It must have multi-directional vents for maximum efficacy
Larger basement spaces may require air purifiers with multi-directional vents. This allows the purifier to work with greater efficiency and achieve a better clean for the air in your space.
It must have built-in features to kill other bacteria and pathogens
If mold spores, bacteria, or other pathogens build up in your basement, this can cause a serious health hazard. While this is especially true for those suffering from allergies, pathogens in the air pose a risk to everyone's health. With this in mind, choose a basement air purifier rated to deal with these contaminants.
What Are The Best Air Purifiers For Basements?
The Oransi Max HEPA Air Purifier is a great option for small to medium-sized basements, with its high level of operating capacity. The unit is rated for a space of up to 600 square feet and yet weighs only 19 pounds. This means you get a highly effective air purifier without worrying about a large, ungainly unit taking up too much space.
The unit is a modern one and is fitted with a smart system that helps the machine run at optimal efficiency without compromising results. The Intelligent Air Quality Monitor will automatically adjust the speed of the fan in response to changing air conditions in the room. Despite this high-level capability, this is still a remarkably user-friendly device, featuring intuitive controls and a clear user interface.
- Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value (MERV): 16 (rated for use in hospitals)
- Coverage Area: 600 square feet
- Particle Capture Capability: 99.99% removal of particles small as 0.3 microns (the size of a bacterium)
The mod HEPA air purifier is fitted with a MERV17 HEPA filter, which works powerfully to remove more than 99.4% of particles in the air. The machine has even been rated for use within healthcare facilities and is suitable for a wide range of room sizes.
In testing, the filter has been shown to be effective even for extremely small particle sizes. Even when the particle size drops to 0.02 microns or 20 nanometers, the unit is still capable of removing 99.6% of airborne impurities. As a point of comparison, the coronavirus measures between 70 and 90 nanometers in diameter and is well within the parameters of the unit's filters.
- Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value (MERV): 17 (the minimum rating for use in hospitals)
- Coverage Area: 1,250 square feet
- Particle Capture Capability: As small as 0.1 microns (smaller than the size of a bacterium)
The EJ120 is a high-efficiency air purifier designed to operate quietly while still cleaning the air in rooms of up to 1,250 square feet twice every hour. It has been deployed in health centers during the coronavirus pandemic and is designed to remove 99.8% of particles as small as 0.02 microns. The size of a COVID particle is believed to be around 0.12 microns, and the unit is still able to achieve 99.85% removal even at this particle size.
On a more general level, the EJ120 is rated to combat allergens, bacteria, pollen, mold, smoke, and other harmful particles in the air. An intuitive display will also provide notifications when the filter is due for a change, making it easy to keep your EJ120 device operating at maximum efficiency for longer.
- Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value (MERV): 18 (above minimum rating for use in hospitals)
- Coverage Area: 1,250 square feet
- Particle Capture Capability: 99.99% removal of particles as small as 0.3 microns (the size of a bacterium)
This air purifier features a sleek design, but aesthetics are not its only advantage. This lower-cost model is suitable for those on a budget. It can clean the air in spaces of up to 400 square feet, with 2.6 cycles per hour. The unit utilizes UV technology to destroy particulates and keep the air fresh.
Its lightweight construction makes the HEPA UV air purifier easily portable, and the filter is rated to remove more than 98% of airborne allergens and particles.
- Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value (MERV): 15 (Small-to-medium sized areas)
- Coverage Area: 400 square feet
- Particle Capture Capability: As small as 0.3 microns (the size of a bacterium)
Where Should I Place An Air Purifier In A Basement?
- Place the air purifier in a location where the filter won't be blocked by furniture or other obstructions.
- Avoid placing the unit in corners or alcoves for maximum efficiency.
- If you need to put the air purifier in a corner for aesthetic reasons, make sure to leave adequate space between the unit and any nearby walls to allow air to flow into the vents unimpeded.
- Place the air purifier close to any sources of odor or air impurity (this is a good temporary fix, but you should still take steps to remove the source of impurity permanently, particularly in the case of mold or other potentially harmful pathogens).
- Make sure you can easily access the filters of the air purifier unit so that you can change them when required.
- Where possible, place the air purifier on a platform around 3 to 5 feet off the ground to maximize its efficacy.
Learn More About Choosing The Best Air Purifier For Your Basement
If you would like to learn more about the best air purifier for your basement before you make your choice, reach out to our team today. Our team is on hand to provide you with what you need. Just give us a call at 888-281-3948. Our Customer Service reps in Texas and North Carolina are available 9-6 EST and here to make your life easier.